- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 4 bacon slices, cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 1 chicken, about 4 lb., cut into 10 serving pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 12 oz. white button mushrooms,
cleaned and halved
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 fresh oregano sprigs
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
In a deep sauté pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until brown and crisp, about 5 minutes total. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels; set aside.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the pan and brown on all sides, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a platter. Add the onion to the pan and cook until tender and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the bacon, chicken, mushrooms, garlic, oregano, thyme, wine, stock and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the juices run clear when the chicken is pierced with a knife, about 40 minutes. Serve immediately. Serves 4.