Calamari and White Bean Salad
As you sit down to eat this salad, it won’t be hard to imagine you are in coastal Italy, sipping a glass of crisp vino bianco while enjoying a mix of fresh calamari, velvety white beans and sweet roasted peppers tossed in a citrus-and-garlic dressing.
- 4 quarts water
- Salt, to taste, plus 1 tsp.
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar, plus more as needed
- 3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper, plus more, to taste
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. cleaned squid, cut into bite-size rings and tentacles
- 1 can (15 oz.) cannellini beans or other white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 jarred roasted red bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 Tbs. capers, rinsed
- 1/3 cup green olives, pitted and chopped
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves for garnish
In a large pot over medium-high heat, bring the water to a boil and salt the water. Have ready a bowl of ice water.
In a large bowl, combine the 1/4 cup vinegar, the lemon juice, garlic, the 1 tsp. salt and the 1/4 tsp. pepper and let stand for 5 minutes. Add the olive oil in a thin stream, whisking constantly until the dressing is well blended.
Add the squid to the boiling water and cook until just tender, about 1 minute. Drain the squid and plunge into the ice water to stop the cooking. Drain well and pat dry.
Add the squid, beans, bell peppers, onion, capers and olives to the dressing and stir well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours to blend the flavors.
Just before serving, taste the salad and add vinegar, salt and pepper as needed. Divide among individual plates, garnish with parsley leaves and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Salad of the Day, by Georgeanne Brennan (Weldon Owen, 2012).