Braised Chicken with Preserved Lemon
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 chicken, 3 to 4 lb., cut into 8 serving pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 shallots, halved lengthwise
- 1⁄2 tsp. crushed saffron
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes cut into
- Peel of 1/4 preserved lemon
- 4 fresh flat-leaf parsley or cilantro sprigs
- 1 cup pitted green olives
Preheat an oven to 375°F.
In a large ovenproof sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Working in batches, brown the chicken on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes total; transfer to a plate.
Add the shallots to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the saffron and coriander and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Return the chicken to the pan, add the potatoes, preserved lemon and parsley and bring to a boil. Stir, cover the pan and transfer to the oven. Cook until the chicken is cooked through and very tender, about 45 minutes.
Remove the pan from the oven and stir in the olives. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.