Tilapia with Sweet Peppers
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 red, orange or yellow bell peppers, seeded and
- 1 large garlic clove, sliced
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 tsp. salt, plus more, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 tilapia fillets, about 1 1/2 lb. total, pin bones
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. sherry vinegar
Meanwhile, place the fillets on a plate. Season on both sides with the paprika and then sprinkle with salt.
Set a large, heavy fry pan over low heat to preheat. When the peppers are nearly done, increase the heat under the empty fry pan to medium-high. Add the remaining 1 Tbs. oil. Sprinkle the fillets on both sides with the flour, shaking off any excess. Add the fillets to the pan and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Turn the fillets over and cook until just opaque throughout, about 3 minutes.
Stir the vinegar into the peppers and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the fillets to individual plates. Spoon the peppers over and alongside the fillets and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Seafood, by Jay Harlow (Oxmoor House, 2007).