Tarte Tatin-Filled Pancakes
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbs. water
- 4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 tart apples, such as Granny Smith or Pink Lady, peeled, cored and each cut into 16 slices, then halved horizontally
- 1 1/4 cups ebelskiver pancake mix
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted, plus more for cooking
- Vanilla ice cream for serving
Using the pancake mix, eggs, milk and 2 Tbs. melted butter, prepare the batter according to the package instructions. Put 1/2 tsp. butter in each well of a filled-pancake pan. Set over medium heat and heat until the butter begins to bubble. Add 2 pieces of apple and some of the caramel to each well and top with 2 Tbs. batter. Cook until the sides of the pancakes are golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Using 2 wooden skewers, carefully turn the pancakes over and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes more. Transfer the pancakes to a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter and apple pieces.
Drizzle the pancakes with some of the remaining caramel and serve with vanilla ice cream. Makes about 24.