Swiss Chard with Cannellini
- 1 bunch (about 1 lb.) red, white or rainbow Swiss
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 can (15 oz.) cannellini beans, drained and
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
In a wide sauté pan or 5- to 7-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil and add the onion, celery and carrot. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds, then stir in the tomatoes and red pepper flakes. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the tomatoes break down and the sauce thickens a bit, about 10 minutes. Stir in the chard by the handful, letting each addition cook down a bit before adding the next. Stir in the beans. Cover the pan and simmer until the greens are very soft, 10 to 15 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Serves 6.
Adapted from Braises & Stews, by Tori Ritchie (Chronicle Books, 2007).