Steam-Roasted Parsnips and Carrots
Steam-roasting parsnips and carrots and accenting them with fresh mint and lemon transforms these humble vegetables into a delicious side dish. This recipe calls for a Cuisinart steam oven. To prepare the dish in a conventional oven, preheat the oven to 400°F and roast the vegetables on a baking sheet until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 10 to 15 fresh mint leaves, slivered
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
In the baking tray of a Cuisinart steam oven, combine the parsnips, carrots, thyme sprigs, butter and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
Position a rack in the upper rung of the steam oven. Transfer the tray to the oven. Turn the oven to the broil/steam setting at 450°F according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Roast until the vegetables are tender and lightly browned on top, about 20 minutes.
Remove and discard the thyme sprigs. Toss the vegetables with the mint and add lemon zest and lemon juice, to taste. Serve immediately. Serves 4.