Steak, Arugula and Pecorino Salad
You can make the vinaigrette up to 5 days in advance and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Shake or whisk well before using. It is a good “house dressing,” too, complementing almost any mixed green salad, so make a double batch to have extra on hand.
- 1 1/2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 grilled flank steak (see related recipe at left)
- 10 oz. arugula, stems removed
- 1 lb. cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 lb. pecorino romano or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Make the shallot vinaigrette
In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, shallot, salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in the olive oil.
Make the salad
Thinly slice the steak across the grain. In a large bowl, combine the arugula, tomatoes and steak. Add the vinaigrette and toss well. Using a vegetable peeler, shave curls of the cheese over the salad. Divide among large plates and serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Grilling, by Rick Rodgers (Oxmoor House, 2007).