Squash, Mint and Ricotta Salata Salad
Choose a variety of colorful summer squashes to make this simple salad. Use a mandoline to quickly shave the squashes into thin, uniform slices.
- Sea salt, to taste
- 2 cups peas
- 1 lb. mixed summer squashes, such as zucchini, yellow squash and pattypan
- 1/4 lb. ricotta salata cheese, shaved
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Bring a saucepan three-fourths full of well-salted water to a boil over high heat. Have a large bowl of ice water ready. Add the peas to the boiling water and blanch for 1 minute. Using a wire skimmer, scoop out the peas and refresh in the bowl of ice water. Scoop out using the skimmer and transfer to a bowl.
Using a mandoline or a potato peeler, shave the squashes lengthwise into thin ribbons. In a bowl, toss together the squashes, peas, cheese, green onions, mint and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Cooking for Friends, by Alison Attenborough and Jamie Kimm (Oxmoor House, 2008).