Sautéed Zucchini and Tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves
- Salt, to taste
- 3 to 5 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 yellow onions, sliced lengthwise
- 1 1⁄2 lb. zucchini, trimmed and
cut into 1⁄2-inch chunks
- 1⁄2 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 1⁄2 lb. ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 Tbs. tomato paste, plus more as needed
- About 1⁄4 tsp. minced fresh thyme
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf
In a large fry pan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onions and sauté until softened, 6 to 7 minutes. Add the zucchini and bell peppers and cook, stirring, until the zucchini begin to soften, 5 to 8 minutes.
Add half of the garlic paste, the tomatoes, the 2 Tbs. tomato paste and thyme and stir well. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook,stirring occasionally, until the zucchini and onions are very tender, 20 to 25 minutes. If the mixture is too thick, add a little water; if it is too thin, add 1 Tbs. tomato paste and cook, uncovered, for a few minutes longer to evaporate the excess liquid.
Stir in the remaining garlic paste and the parsley. Serve hot or at room temperature. Serves 4 to 6.