Salad of Young Fennel, Parmesan and Button Mushrooms
- 1 young, tender fennel bulb
- 1/2 lb. firm fresh button mushrooms, brushed clean
- 3 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 8 large, attractive butter lettuce leaves
- Wedge Italian Parmesan cheese
Trim the stem from each mushroom to make a clean, flat surface, then cut the mushrooms into paper-thin slices. Add to the fennel along with the lemon juice, olive oil, parsley, salt and pepper. Toss gently to coat evenly.
Divide the lettuce leaves evenly among 4 individual plates, making a bed on each plate. Then divide the fennel and mushroom mixture evenly among the plates. Using a vegetable peeler, cheese plane or very sharp knife, shave 4 or 5 pieces of Parmesan from the cheese wedge directly onto each plate. You will need about 2 oz. total for the shavings. Serve immediately.