Quinoa Salad with Dried Cherries and Pistachios
Grain salads like this one will last for several days in the refrigerator and will take on even more flavor as they sit. You can make the salad on a Sunday and pack it for lunch any day of the week.
- 2 cups (16 fl. oz./500 ml) water
- 1 cup (6 oz./185 g) quinoa
- 1/2 head radicchio, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup (1 1/2 oz./45 g) dried tart cherries
- 1/4 cup (1 oz./30 g) chopped pistachios
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus a few whole leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
In a saucepan over high heat, bring the water to a boil. Add the quinoa and reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer until the grains are tender and the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and transfer to a large bowl.
Add the radicchio, vinegar, olive oil, cherries, pistachios and chopped parsley to the bowl with the warm quinoa and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with the whole parsley leaves. Serve warm or at room temperature. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Salad of the Day, by Georgeanne Brennan (Weldon Owen, 2012).