Pumpkin-Braised Pork with Greens
Perfect for an autumn supper, this comforting braise is easy to prepare, thanks to the use of a slow cooker and our pumpkin braising sauce.
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 3 1/2 to 4 lb. (1.75 to 2 kg) boneless pork shoulder,
cut into 1 1/2-inch (4-cm) pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and cut into
1/2-inch (12-mm) slices
- 1 lb. carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch (5-cm) chunks
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 jar spiced pumpkin braising sauce
- 1 bunch curly kale, stemmed and leaves torn into
1-inch (2.5-cm) pieces
- Crusty bread for serving
In the stovetop-safe insert of a 4-quart (4-l) slow cooker over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Season the pork with salt and pepper. Working in batches, sear the pork until well browned, about 8 minutes per batch. Transfer to a bowl.
Add the onion to the insert and cook, stirring occasionally, until just beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Return the pork to the insert and add the carrots, red pepper flakes and braising sauce. Cover and cook on high until the pork is tender, about 4 hours, stirring in the kale during the last 30 minutes of cooking. Serve with crusty bread. Serves 6 to 8.