Pulled Chicken Sliders with Apple-Jicama Relish
Jicama is a root vegetable with a similar texture to water chestnuts. Very low in calories, it’s a great source of vitamin A and fiber. Here, jicama is mixed with apples and red onions to form a slaw that adds a nice crunch to moist pulled chicken. The recipe calls for poaching a whole chicken, which is a method of cooking tender, delicious meat without adding excess calories.
- 1 chicken, about 3 1/2 lb. (1.75 kg)
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 tsp. salt, plus more, to taste
- 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper, plus more, to taste
- 1 cup (8 fl. oz./250 ml) tomato puree
- 1 cup (8 oz./250 g) Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup (6 fl. oz./375 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbs. firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 shakes of hot-pepper sauce
For the apple-jicama relish:
- 1 Granny Smith apple, finely diced
- 3/4 cup (4 oz./125 g) finely diced jicama
- 1/4 cup (1 oz./30 g) finely diced red onion
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
12 small soft rolls
Place the chicken in a large saucepan with the lemon, bay leaves, 1 tsp. of the salt and 1/2 tsp. of the pepper. Fill the saucepan with water to cover the chicken and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 1 hour. Carefully remove the chicken from the water and, when cool enough to handle, remove the meat, discarding the skin and bones. Using your hands, shred the meat into a large bowl.
In a saucepan over high heat, combine the tomato puree, mustard, vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, hot-pepper sauce, the remaining 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the flavors come together and the color deepens, about 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Let the sauce cool slightly, then pour over the shredded chicken and stir to combine.
To make the relish, in a bowl, stir together the apple, jicama, onion, cilantro, olive oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
Spoon the chicken onto the rolls, top each with about 1 Tbs. of the relish and serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Healthy Dish of the Day, by Kate McMillan (Weldon Owen, 2014).