Prosciutto and Cheese Panini
Made with thin prosciutto slices and three kinds of cheeses, these grilled sandwiches are the perfect accompaniment to our Roasted Tomato Soup (see related recipe at left).
- 4 1/2 oz. Danish fontina cheese, shredded
- 4 1/2 oz. provolone cheese, shredded
- 6 Tbs. (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8 slices sourdough bread, each about 7 inches long
- 1 1/2 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely grated
- 8 thin slices prosciutto, about 4 oz. total
Preheat an electric panini press to 375ºF according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
In a bowl, combine the fontina and provolone cheeses; set aside.
Spread the butter on one side of each bread slice. Sprinkle the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese evenly over the buttered sides and press gently to adhere. Turn 4 of the bread slices over so they are cheese side down and top each with 2 prosciutto slices. Sprinkle the fontina-provolone cheese mixture on top, dividing evenly. Top each with one of the remaining bread slices, cheese side up.
Place 2 sandwiches on the preheated panini press and close the lid. Cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions until the bread is golden and the cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches.
Transfer the sandwiches to a cutting board and cut in half. Serve immediately. Serves 4.