Pesto with Trofiette
- 1/2 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1/8-inch
- Coarse salt, to taste, plus 1/2 tsp.
- Leaves from 2 bunches fresh basil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted, plus crushed pine
nuts for garnish
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese,
plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1 lb. trofiette pasta
- 1/2 lb. haricots verts, trimmed
Put the basil, the 1/4 cup pine nuts, garlic and the 1/2 tsp. salt in a mortar. Using a pestle, grind with a rotating motion until a paste forms, about 5 minutes. Add the 1/4 cup cheese and continue grinding until well combined. Remove the pestle. Using a wooden spoon, briskly stir the pesto while drizzling in the 1/2 cup olive oil. Adjust the seasonings with salt. Pour a small amount of olive oil on top of the pesto. Set aside.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook according to the package instructions. During the last 3 minutes of cooking, add the haricots verts to the boiling pasta. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water.
In a large bowl, combine the pasta, haricots verts, potatoes, pesto and the reserved cooking water and toss gently to combine. Garnish with cheese and crushed pine nuts. Serve immediately. Serves 6.