- 1/2 lb. dried rice ribbon noodles
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil, or as needed
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast half, about
1/4 lb., cut into strips 1/8 inch thick
- 1/4 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup minced shallot or yellow onion
- 3 Tbs. tomato ketchup or tomato paste
- 2 Tbs. plus 1 1/2 tsp. Thai fish sauce
- 2 Tbs. lime juice or rice vinegar
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 1 egg
- Large pinch of red pepper flakes
- 4 Tbs. chicken stock
- 1/2 lb. mung bean sprouts
- 6 green onions, including tender green portions,
cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, cut into 6 wedges
In a nonstick wok over medium-high heat, warm 1 Tbs. of the oil. Add the chicken and toss and stir until opaque, about 1 minute. Add the shrimp and toss and stir until bright pink, about 1 minute more. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Return the wok to medium-high heat and add the remaining 1 Tbs. oil. Add the garlic and shallot and toss and stir until golden, about 1 minute. Increase the heat to high and add the ketchup, fish sauce, lime juice and sugar. Toss and stir until thickened, about 30 seconds. Crack the egg into the middle of the wok and lightly beat. Cook, without stirring, until set, about 20 seconds. Gently fold the egg into the sauce; tiny egg flecks should peek through the sauce. Add the noodles and red pepper flakes and, using tongs, toss to coat with the sauce. Add the stock, 2 Tbs. at a time, to moisten the stiff noodles, and cook until the noodles begin to cling together and are almost tender, about 3 minutes. Add the bean sprouts, green onions, carrot, chicken-shrimp mixture and half of the peanuts. Toss to combine and cook until the bean sprouts begin to wilt, about 3 minutes.
Divide among individual plates and top with the remaining peanuts and the cilantro. Squeeze the lime wedges over the noodles. Serve hot or at room temperature.