Orange Blossom Gin Fizz
Yuzu tastes like a combination of grapefruit and mandarin. Look for it in bottles in Asian markets; if you have trouble finding it, substitute any citrus juice—the more exotic, the better. Another nice way to present this cocktail is with glass swizzle sticks. They make lovely tinkling sounds that seem just right for a garden party, and they give guests something to do with their hands as they chat.
- Ice as needed
- 1/4 cup gin
- 2 Tbs. yuzu or fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 orange, cut into 2 wedges
- 1/2 tsp. orange flower water
- 1 Tbs. simple syrup (see related recipe at left)
- 1/4 cup club soda (soda water)
- Orange blossom for garnish (optional)
Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add the gin, yuzu juice, orange wedges, orange flower water and simple syrup. Cover, shake well and strain into an ice-filled highball glass. Top with the club soda. Garnish with an orange blossom and serve immediately. Serves 1.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Cooking for Friends, by Alison Attenborough and Jamie Kimm (Oxmoor House, 2008).