Mixed Rice Pilaf with Dried Cherries, Apricots and Cinnamon
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion, such as Vidalia
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1 1/2 cups brown basmati rice
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 orange zest strip, 3 inches long and 1/2 inch
wide, plus extra for garnish (optional)
- 4 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup dried pitted cherries
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
Add the stock, apricots and cherries and increase the heat to high. Bring to a boil, stirring once. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook until the stock is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 55 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small, dry fry pan over medium-low heat, toast the almonds, stirring constantly, until golden, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Spoon the pilaf into a warmed serving bowl, discarding the cinnamon stick and orange zest. Sprinkle with the toasted almonds and additional orange zest. Serve immediately.