Meyer Lemon-Braised Veal Shanks
This hearty dish comes together quickly, thanks to our braising base, which combines the tangy flavor of Meyer lemons with roasted garlic, Dijon mustard and other ingredients. Noodles or mashed potatoes are perfect for soaking up the savory sauce.
- 6 veal shanks, each 8 to 10 oz.
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1 jar Meyer lemon braising base
- 1 cup pearl onions, fresh or thawed frozen
- Cooked noodles or mashed potatoes for serving
Preheat an oven to 325°F.
Season the veal shanks with salt and pepper. In an oval cocotte or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm the 2 Tbs. olive oil until almost smoking. Working in batches, brown the veal shanks on both sides, 8 to 10 minutes per batch, adding more olive oil to the pot as needed.
Return all the shanks to the pot and add the braising base and pearl onions. Cover the pot with a piece of aluminum foil, then cover with the lid. Transfer to the oven and bake until the shanks are fork-tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
Skim the fat off the sauce. Serve the shanks and sauce with noodles or mashed potatoes. Serves 4 to 6.