- 8 young leeks, white and pale green portions
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1 Tbs. whole-grain mustard
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup panko
- 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the leeks, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and poach until the leeks are just tender when pierced with a knife, about 8 minutes. Drain the leeks. When they are cool enough to handle, cut them into 1 1/2-inch chunks. Set aside.
In a bowl, stir together the ricotta, Gruyère and mustard. Divide the leeks among the prepared gratin dishes and add a pinch of salt and pepper. Top with the cheese mixture and sprinkle with the panko, parsley and thyme. Bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Cooking for Friends, by Alison Attenborough and Jamie Kimm (Oxmoor House, 2008).