Jam-Filled Frangipane Tartlets
For the pastry:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 10 Tbs. (1 1/4 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten with 1 Tbs. water
For the frangipane:
- 8 Tbs. (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup firmly packed almond paste
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten with 1 egg white
- 1/3 cup plus 1 Tbs. cake flour
- 1 cup jam, such as sour cherry, apricot or raspberry
- Confectioners' sugar for serving
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, shape the dough into a ball and divide it in half. Shape each half into a flat, 5-inch disk, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
Position a rack in the center of an oven and preheat to 400°F.
Working with one piece of dough at a time, roll out to 1/8-inch thickness. Using a 3-inch round cookie cutter, cut out 12 rounds of pastry. Transfer a round to each well of a 12-well mini-tart plaque or mini-muffin pan. Using your fingers, press the pastry to fit into the well. Refrigerate until ready to bake.
To make the frangipane, in the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter until light and creamy. Add the almond paste and granulated sugar and beat until smooth and creamy. While beating, add the eggs a little at a time, blending well after each addition. Reduce the speed to low and fold in the cake flour until just blended and no lumps of flour remain.
Spoon about 1 heaping tsp. jam into each tart shell, making a thin layer about 1/4 inch deep. Spoon the frangipane into each shell, filling it just to the top. Bake until the tartlets are golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Set the pan on a wire rack, cool the tartlets to room temperature and remove from pan. Repeat with remaining dough to make 12 more tartlets. Dust tartlets with confectioners' sugar before serving.