Heirloom Tomato Salad
- 6 to 8 very ripe heirloom tomatoes, in a variety
of sizes, shapes and colors
- 1⁄4 to 1⁄2 tsp. sugar
- Salt, to taste
- 2 green onions, 1⁄4 red onion or 1 shallot,
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tsp. minced fresh oregano, or to taste
- Balsamic vinegar, to taste
- Sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar, to taste
- 3 to 5 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse country bread for serving
Finish with a sprinkling each of balsamic vinegar and sherry vinegar, then drizzle with the olive oil. Let stand until ready to serve, or for up to 2 hours. Accompany with the bread for sopping up the juices. Serves 4.
Variations: Other summery fresh herbs can be used in place of the oregano: 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme or rosemary, 1 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, or 2 to 3 Tbs. chopped fresh basil.