Grilled Porterhouse with Romesco
If possible, prepare the romesco at least one day before serving it. The flavors will intensify and meld as the sauce sits.
- 2 red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and coarsely
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/4 cup (1 1/2 oz./45 g) whole almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) olive oil
- 4 1/2 tsp. sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 porterhouse steaks, each about 1 lb. (500 g) and 3/4 inch (2
In a mini food processor, combine the bell peppers, tomato, garlic, almonds, olive oil, vinegar, paprika, and 1 tsp. salt and pulse until well blended, scraping down the sides as needed. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
Prepare a hot fire in a grill.
Season the steaks with salt and pepper. Grill the steaks, turning once, until well marked and cooked to medium-rare, about 2 minutes per side, or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a carving board and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve the steaks with the romesco sauce alongside. Serves 4 to 6.
Williams-Sonoma Test Kitchen.