Golden Mashed Potatoes with Leeks and Sour Cream
- 4 lb. large Yukon Gold potatoes, unpeeled
and preferably organic, scrubbed
- 8 Tbs. (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 4 leeks, white and light green portions,
finely chopped and rinsed well
- 1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 cup milk, heated to a simmer
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt, plus more, to taste
- 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper, plus more, to taste
Meanwhile, in a fry pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the leeks, cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until tender and lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Set aside and keep warm.
Return the potatoes to the saucepan and place the pan over low heat. Transfer the potatoes in batches to a ricer and pass through into the saucepan. Alternatively, using a potato masher, mash the potatoes thoroughly. Stir in the leeks and their buttery juices. Add the sour cream and stir well. Add the hot milk, the 1/2 tsp. salt and the 1 tsp. pepper and stir vigorously until light and uffy.
Remove the pan from the heat. Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper. Serve hot.