Fritto Misto with Salsa Verde
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups semolina flour
- 3 cups buttermilk
- Canola oil for frying
- 1 lb. halibut, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 lb. baby calamari, bodies cut into 1/2-inch
rings, tentacles left whole
- Salt, to taste
- 1 lemon, trimmed and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- Salsa verde for serving (see related recipe at
Pour oil into a deep 6-quart sauté pan fitted with a fry basket; be sure the oil does not reach more than halfway up the sides of the pan. Heat the oil to 375°F on a deep-frying thermometer. Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
Season the halibut and calamari with salt; set aside.
Working in batches, dip the lemon slices into the buttermilk and shake off the excess. Dip the lemon slices into the flour mixture, coating all sides, and shake off the excess. Fry until golden and crispy, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the lemon slices to the prepared baking sheet and season with salt. Repeat the process with the halibut and calamari.
Arrange the lemon slices, halibut and calamari on a warmed platter. Serve immediately with salsa verde. Serves 6.