Fresh Tomato Sauce
- 2 1/2 lb. ripe plum tomatoes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh basil
In a sauté pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the oregano and stir to combine. Stir in the crushed tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, until the sauce is thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in the basil and cook for 1 minute. Makes about 3 cups.