Crème Fraîche Mashed Potatoes
Enriched with crème fraîche, these mashed potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to our Steak and Mushroom Stew (see related recipe at left).
- 4 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 Tbs. kosher salt, plus more, to taste
- 6 Tbs. (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
- 7 1/2 oz. crème fraîche, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup milk, warmed
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Put the potatoes in a large pot and add the 1 Tbs. salt and enough water to cover the potatoes by 3 inches. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes well in a colander.
Set a potato ricer over the pot and pass the potatoes through in batches. Add the butter, then gradually add the crème fraîche, stirring constantly with a large spoon until the potatoes are smooth and creamy. Stir in the milk and season with salt and pepper.
Transfer the potatoes to a warmed serving bowl and serve immediately. Serves 6 to 8.