Citrus Salad with Mint and Red Onions
- 3 large seedless oranges
- 2 blood oranges
- 1 Ruby grapefruit or other pink grapefruit
- 1/4 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 3 Tbs. fresh orange juice
- 1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbs. coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 6 kumquats, thinly sliced and seeds discarded
- Seeds from 1/4 pomegranate
Using a sharp knife, cut a thick slice off the tops and bottoms of the oranges, blood oranges and grapefruit to expose the flesh. Working with 1 fruit at a time, place it upright on a cutting board and cut off the peel and white membrane in wide strips. Cut the oranges and grapefruit crosswise into slices 1/4 inch thick. Cut the grapefruit slices into quarters. Using the tip of the knife, remove any seeds and discard. Arrange the orange and grapefruit slices on a platter, overlapping the various colors. Separate the onion slices and scatter over the top.
Add the orange juice, vinegar and olive oil to the bowl containing the orange zest. Season with salt and pepper and whisk to form a vinaigrette. Drizzle the vinaigrette evenly over the citrus and onion. Sprinkle with the mint, kumquat slices and pomegranate seeds. Serve immediately.