- 6 to 8 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 4 skinless chicken breast halves, each about
- 4 skinless chicken thighs, each about 6 oz.
- 4 skinless chicken drumsticks, each about
- 1 lb. chicken wings
- 2 Tbs. canola or safflower oil
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 to 4 Tbs. curry powder (see related recipe at
left) or 1/3 to 1/2 cup curry paste
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
For the condiments:
- 1 cup mango chutney
- 3/4 cup diced tomato
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 banana, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts or cashews
- 1/2 cup unsweetened grated coconut
In a Dutch oven or other large pot over high heat, warm the oil. Working in batches, add the chicken pieces and cook, turning once, until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Reduce the heat to medium, add the onions to the pot and sauté until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and curry powder and sauté, stirring, for 1 minute more. Increase the heat to high, stir in the stock and deglaze the pot, stirring with a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom. Return the chicken to the pot and bring to a boil. Add the coconut milk, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the chicken is opaque throughout, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Transfer the chicken and sauce to a warmed serving bowl. Serve the condiments in small bowls or ramekins for diners to add as desired.