Butter Lettuce Salad with Champagne and Shallot Vinaigrette
Use the best-quality ingredients you can find to prepare this simple salad, which combines butter lettuce and fresh herbs with a Champagne and shallot vinaigrette. A garnish of chive blossoms adds a splash of color.
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Champagne or Prosecco
- 1/4 cup Champagne vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 heads butter lettuce, larger leaves torn, smaller leaves left whole
- 2 Tbs. snipped fresh chives, tips and blossoms reserved for garnish (optional)
- 2 Tbs. snipped fresh tarragon
In a small bowl, whisk together the shallot, olive oil, Champagne and vinegar. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
In a serving bowl, combine the lettuce, chives and tarragon. Toss with as much of the vinaigrette as needed to evenly coat the salad. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with the chive blossoms and serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Cooking for Friends, by Alison Attenborough and Jamie Kimm (Oxmoor House, 2008).