Bell Peppers Baked with Tomatoes
- 6 bell peppers, seeded and cut into strips
or bite-size pieces
- 12 oz. cherry tomatoes, stemmed
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar or 2 tsp. each balsamic
and red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. minced fresh oregano, marjoram or
- 1 tsp. sugar, or to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbs. fresh basil leaves, torn or finely shredded
In a large bowl, mix together the bell peppers, tomatoes, half of the garlic, the olive oil, half of the vinegar, the oregano, sugar, salt and pepper. Mix well and spread out in a single layer in a large baking pan.
Roast the vegetables for about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, turn the vegetables so that they will brown evenly, and return them to the oven. Continue to roast until the peppers are slightly charred at the edges and the tomatoes are soft and tender and have begun to form a sauce, about 10 minutes more.
Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the remaining garlic to taste and the remaining vinegar. Let cool until warm or room temperature. Garnish with the basil just before serving. Serves 4 to 6.
Serving Tips: This dish comes from Apulia, in southeast Italy, and it is as delicious at room temperature as it is warm. Serve as a side dish with roasted meats or browned sausages, toss with pasta or pile into a crusty sandwich. It also makes a good appetizer with a mound of creamy goat cheese alongside.