Asian Braised Short Ribs
- 2 Tbs. whole Chinese five spice
- 4 lb. bone-in beef short ribs
- 2 to 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into 1⁄4-inch slices
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup plum wine
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sesame oil
- 1 Tbs. chili garlic paste
- 2 Tbs. grated fresh ginger
- Zest of 1 orange, peeled with vegetable peeler
into 1⁄2-inch strips, plus juice of 1 orange
- 1⁄4 cup sugar dissolved in 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- Steamed rice for serving
In a heavy sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 Tbs. of the olive oil. Working in batches, brown the ribs on all sides, 10 to 12 minutes total, adding more oil to the pan if needed. Transfer to a slow cooker.
Add more oil to the pan if needed. Reduce the heat to medium, add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the wine, stirring to scrape up the browned bits. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook until the wine is reduced by half, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to the slow cooker along with the soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, chili paste, ginger, orange zest, orange juice and sugar mixture. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours according to the manufacturers instructions.
Spoon the fat off the sauce. Transfer the ribs and sauce to a serving bowl and serve with steamed rice. Serves 6.