- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken breast halves, about 3 lb. total
- 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbs. canola oil
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs. whole-grain or Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
Brown the chicken
Preheat an oven to 425ºF. Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper.
In a large ovenproof fry pan over high heat, warm the oil. Add the chicken and cook, turning once or twice, until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes total.
Make the glaze and bake the chicken
Meanwhile, in a bowl, stir together the jam, vinegar, mustard, garlic and the 1/2 tsp. salt. Brush the glaze over the chicken breasts, leaving about 1 Tbs. in the bowl. Add the fennel and toss with the remaining glaze. Spoon the fennel over the chicken. Bake until the chicken is opaque throughout, about 10 minutes. Divide the chicken among individual plates, spoon the fennel over it and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, One Pot, by Carrolyn Carreño (Oxmoor House, 2008).