Apple-Citrus Salad with Avocado and Bacon
- 2 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 heads Bibb lettuce, rinsed well and torn into
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into 1/2-
- 2 ruby red grapefruits, peeled and sectioned
- 2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 bunch green onions, green portion only,
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 ripe avocados
- 6 thick-cut bacon slices, fried until crispy and
chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, apples, grapefruits, oranges, green onions, salt, pepper and half of the vinaigrette and toss to mix.
To slice the avocados, using a chef's knife, cut into an avocado lengthwise until you hit the pit in the center. Carefully cut around the fruit through the skin and the pulp, without cutting through the pit. Holding the avocado in both hands, twist the halves in opposite directions to separate them. Using a large tablespoon, scoop out the pit and then scoop the pulp out of the skin. Slice the avocado as desired. Repeat with the remaining avocados.
Divide the salad among chilled salad plates. Garnish with the avocado slices and bacon. Drizzle a little of the remaining vinaigrette over each salad and serve immediately.