Reminiscent of the rising sun, this colorful cocktail gets a flavor boost from our mixer, which includes a blend of blood orange and satsuma mandarin juices. Grenadine syrup adds a crimson hue to the drink.
- 1 1/2 fl. oz. (45 ml) golden rum
- 1/2 fl. oz. (15 ml) orange liqueur, such as Cointreau
- 3 dashes of cranberry bitters
- 1 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 1/2 fl. oz. (75 ml) blood orange-satsuma cocktail mixer
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1/2 fl. oz. (15 ml) grenadine syrup
- Ice cubes as needed
In a narrow glass, stir together the rum, orange liqueur, bitters, lime juice, cocktail mixer and nutmeg. Hold a spoon so that the tip is just touching the surface of the drink, then very slowly pour the grenadine syrup down the back side of the spoon handle until the syrup sinks to the bottom of the glass. Add ice cubes and serve. Serves 1.
Recipe by Anna Kovel, Food Stylist.