Vegetable Barley Soup
- 2 1/2 quarts chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and diced
- 2 boiling potatoes, unpeeled, diced
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and diced
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Add the carrots, parsnips, potatoes, rutabaga, broccoli, thyme and oregano. Simmer, uncovered, until all the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
Ladle the soup into warmed bowls, garnish with the parsley and serve immediately.