Tiger Shrimp and Glass Noodle Salad
In this recipe from Gordon Ramsay, made using a Philips Airfryer to cook tiger shrimp, a mixture of vegetables and fresh herbs adds bright color and fresh flavor to a main course salad. It’s worth seeking out piment d’Espelette for its complex flavor and subtle heat, but hot paprika can be substituted if you like. You can also substitute rice noodles for the glass noodles (also called cellophane noodles), which are available at most Asian markets.
- 2 Tbs. piment d’Espelette
- 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) plus 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 18 large tiger shrimp, deveined and butterflied, tails intact
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Grated zest of 1 lime
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 lb. (250 g) glass noodles, prepared according to the package instructions, drained and chilled
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded and sliced on the diagonal
- 4 baby yellow bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 4 baby red bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
- 2 green onions, white and light green portions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 2 cups peeled, seeded and julienned green papaya (about 1 small papaya)
- 1/2 cup (1/2 oz./15 g) fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup (1/2 oz./15 g) fresh cilantro leaves, plus chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- 1/4 cup (1 1/2 oz./45 g) roasted peanuts, chopped
- 2 Tbs. julienned fresh basil leaves
For the dressing:
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup (8 fl. oz./250 ml) soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. honey
- 2-inch (5-cm) piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 4 green onions, white and light green portions, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbs. sweet chili sauce
- 1 cup (8 fl. oz./250 ml) grapeseed oil
Preheat a Philips Airfryer to 390°F (200°C).
In a small bowl, stir together the piment d’Espelette and the 2 Tbs. olive oil. Arrange the shrimp on a baking sheet and brush with the piment d’Espelette mixture. Sprinkle the shrimp with the lemon and lime zests and season with salt and pepper.
Place 6 shrimp in the fry basket, cut side down, and insert into the air fryer. Cook for 4 minutes. Transfer to a baking sheet to cool. Repeat with the remaining shrimp.
While the shrimp is cooking, make the dressing. In a bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, soy sauce, honey, ginger, green onion and chili sauce. Slowly whisk in the oil until emulsified.
To assemble the salad, in a large bowl, toss the glass noodles, cucumber, bell peppers, carrot, green onions, papaya, mint and cilantro to combine. Add the vinaigrette to taste and toss to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Divide the salad among 6 plates. Place 3 shrimp on top of each serving. Garnish with the peanuts and basil and serve immediately. Serves 6.
Recipe courtesy of Gordon Ramsay for Philips Airfryer