Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 leek, white portion only, halved, rinsed and
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup pecans, toasted and chopped (optional)
In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the leek and celery and sauté until the leek is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and stock, increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
Puree the soup
Using a food processor or blender, process the soup to a smooth puree. Return the soup to the pan and reheat to serving temperature. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into soup bowls, garnish with the pecans and serve. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Soup, by Georgeanne Brennan (Oxmoor House, 2006).