Shirred Eggs with Smoked Salmon
- 12 eggs
- 7 Tbs. unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 3 oz. smoked salmon, cut into slivers 1/4 inch wide
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh chives
- Salt, to taste (optional)
- Grilled Toast
In the bottom pan of a large double boiler, pour in enough water to reach just below the top pan. Bring the water almost to a boil. (Alternatively, use a large saucepan and a large metal bowl.)
In a bowl, lightly whisk the eggs. Stir in the butter pieces and pepper, then pour the egg mixture into the top pan of the double boiler. Whisk the eggs continuously until they start to thicken, about 10 minutes.
Add the smoked salmon and chives, and continue to whisk until a creamy mass of tiny curds has formed, 1 to 2 minutes more. The curds should be soft, not firm. Taste and season with salt if desired.
Transfer the eggs to a warmed platter and serve hot over grilled toast. Serves 6.