Salmon and Herbed Cheese Pinwheels
These quick-and-easy little sandwiches can be prepared in about 20 minutes. Serve alongside cocktails or with afternoon tea.
- 6 oz. smoked salmon, thinly sliced
- 1/4 lb. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tsp. roughly chopped fresh basil
- 2 tsp. snipped fresh chives
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground white pepper
- 4 flour tortillas, each about 8 inches in diameter
Mix the filling
Set aside three-fourths of the smoked salmon. Place the remaining slices in a food processor and add the cream cheese, basil, chives and white pepper. Pulse to blend.
Assemble the pinwheels
Spread each tortilla with one-fourth of the cream cheese mixture. Divide the reserved slices of salmon between 4 tortillas, placing the salmon horizontally across the center of each tortilla. Starting from the bottom, roll each tortilla firmly. Trim the ends and cut each roll into 6 slices.
Arrange the pinwheels, cut side up, on a platter and serve. Makes 24 pinwheels.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Small Plates, by Brigit L. Binns (Oxmoor House, 2007).