Root Vegetable Gratin Starter with Crunchy Panko
Perfect for both Thanksgiving celebrations and cozy family suppers, our starter makes it easy to whip up a savory root vegetable gratin with homemade flavor. Serve as a side dish, or turn the gratin into a comforting meal by adding a green salad and crusty bread.
- 3 lb. (1.5 kg) assorted root vegetables, such as russet potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots and parsnips, peeled and sliced 1/16 inch (2 mm) thick
- 4 cups (32 fl. oz./1 l) half-and-half
- 1 package (5.6 oz./158 g) root vegetable gratin starter (includes seasoning mix and topping packets)
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz./185 g) grated Gruyère cheese (optional)
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted
Preheat an oven to 375°F (190°C). Butter a 13-by-9-inch (33-by-23-cm) baking dish.
Place the sliced vegetables in a large bowl.
In a saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together the half-and-half and seasoning mix and bring to a boil. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the sauce thickens, about 1 minute. Pour the sauce over the vegetables, add two-thirds of the cheese and stir to evenly distribute. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish, sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese and cover with aluminum foil.
Bake for 30 minutes, then uncover and continue baking for 25 minutes. In a small bowl, stir together the topping and melted butter. Sprinkle over the gratin and continue baking until the bread crumbs are golden brown and the edges are bubbling, 5 to 10 minutes more. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Serves 10 to 12.
Williams-Sonoma Test Kitchen