Cucumber-Watercress Tea Sandwiches
- 32 thin slices peeled English (hothouse)
- 4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room
- 8 thin slices white sandwich bread
- 1/2 cup watercress leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup radish, onion or sunflower
- Coarse salt, preferably fleur de sel, to taste
Using a sharp knife, cut off the crusts from each sandwich and then slice the sandwiches in half, either straight down the middle or on the diagonal. If smaller portions are desired, cut each half in half again.
Arrange the sandwiches on separate plates of a tiered plate stand or on a cake stand or platter. Garnish each sandwich with a watercress leaf. Serve immediately. Serves 6.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma, Entertaining, Edited by Chuck Williams (Oxmoor House, 2004).