Cuban Pork Sandwiches
- 4 crusty rolls, such as Portuguese rolls, split horizontally
- 4 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 cups roasted pork, thinly sliced
- 1 lb. smoked ham or Genoa salami, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb. Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dill pickle slices
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted
Preheat a heavy fry pan or grill pan over medium-high heat. Spread the bottom of each roll with mustard. Layer the pork, ham, cheese and pickles on the rolls, dividing evenly. Set the top halves in place and press gently. Brush the tops of the rolls with the melted butter.
Grill the sandwiches
Place the sandwiches in the heated pan and weight with a second pan or a weighted press. Grill until the undersides are golden, about 2 1/2 minutes. Turn the sandwiches over, weight again, and cook until the other sides are golden and the cheese is melted, about 2 1/2 minutes more. Serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, One Pot, by Carrolyn Carreño (Oxmoor House, 2008).