Chicken and Soba Noodle Soup
- 1⁄2 lb. dried soba noodles
- 4 cups chicken stock or prepared broth
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup yellow miso
- 1 tsp. peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1 boneless, skinless whole chicken breast, about
1⁄2 lb., cut into thin strips
- 2 cups packed baby spinach leaves
- 2 green onions, white and light green
portions, thinly sliced
In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together the stock, water, miso and ginger. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the miso is completely dissolved, about 3 minutes.
Add the chicken strips and cook until the chicken is just opaque throughout, about 2 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until slightly softened but still bright green, about 1 minute. Add the green onions and cook for 1 minute more. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
Using tongs, divide the noodles evenly among warmed bowls and then ladle in the soup. Serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.
Variation Tip: Turkey strips may be used in place of the chicken.