Cheddar Chive Mashed Potatoes
Boost the flavor of everyone’s comfort food favorite by using our savory cheddar cheese and chive potato seasoning blend. Using a potato ricer results in extra-fluffy mashed potatoes, while a masher allows you to make the dish with a heartier, rustic texture.
- 4 lb. (2 kg) russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch (5-cm) chunks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 10 Tbs. (1 1/4 sticks) (5 oz./155 g) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (65 g) cheddar chive mashed potato seasoning
- 1 2/3 cup (13 oz./410 ml) half-and-half, warmed
- Finely snipped fresh chives for garnish (optional)
Put the potatoes and 2 tsp. salt in a large pot, add water to cover the potatoes by 3 inches (7.5 cm) and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and gently cook the potatoes until they are tender when pierced with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain well in a colander.
While the potatoes are cooking, in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the butter and mashed potato seasoning. Heat until the butter melts and begins to foam. Remove from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
Set a potato ricer over the pot and pass the potatoes through in batches. Alternatively, return the potatoes to the pot and mash them with a potato masher.
Stir the butter mixture into the potatoes, then slowly stir in the warm half-and-half. Season with salt and pepper, transfer to a warmed serving dish and garnish with chives. Serve immediately. Serves 10.
Williams-Sonoma Test Kitchen