A favorite in pubs, champ is comfort food at its best: a steaming bowl of potatoes mashed with green onions, served with a well of butter in the center for dipping. This warming side dish is the perfect accompaniment to our Roasted Chickens with Bacon.
- 3 cups lager-style beer
- 3 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 green onions, white and green portions, thinly sliced
- 4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 Tbs. (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl, add the green onions and mash with a handheld masher until the mixture is mostly smooth, with some small pieces unmashed. Add the 4 Tbs. butter, then gradually add the cream, beating constantly with a wooden spoon until the potatoes are creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
Transfer the potatoes to a large serving bowl and make a well in the center. Pour the 6 Tbs. melted butter into the well and serve immediately. Serves 8.