Brûléed Orange French Toast
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbs. Grand Marnier (optional)
- 6 slices brioche, each 1 3⁄4 inches thick
- Softened unsalted butter for cooking and serving
- 6 tsp. granulated sugar
- Maple syrup for serving
Set an electric fry pan to medium heat and brush with butter. When the pan is hot, cook the bread in batches (do not overcrowd), turning once, until golden and crisp, about 2 minutes per side.
Transfer the French toast to a baking sheet. Sprinkle 1 tsp. granulated sugar evenly over the surface of each slice. Using a kitchen torch according to the manufacturer's instructions, move the flame continuously in small circles over the surface until the sugar melts and lightly browns. Serve immediately with maple syrup and butter. Serves 6.