Blackberry Granita & Cream Parfait
For the granita:
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blackberries or
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
For the parfait cream:
- 1/2 cup cold heavy cream
- 3/4 cup plain low-fat or whole yogurt
- 3 Tbs. confectioners' sugar
- 2 or 3 meringue cookies, crumbled (optional)
- Fresh blackberries or boysenberries for garnish
To make the parfait cream, in a bowl, whip the cream until soft peaks form when the whisk is lifted. Stir in the yogurt and confectioners' sugar. Cover and refrigerate.
To serve, spoon alternating layers of granita and parfait cream into serving glasses, sprinkling the crumbled meringue cookies between the layers. Finish with a layer of parfait cream. Garnish with fresh berries and serve immediately. Serves 6 to 8.
Notes: All kinds of acidic fruits can be added to a sugar syrup base for granita. Lemon or lime juice works well with a little mint. Store the granita in a sealed container in the freezer for up to 4 weeks. Serve without the cream if desired.
Adapted from New Healthy Kitchen Series, Desserts, by Annabel Langbein (Simon & Schuster, 2006).