Beef Bourguignonne with Steamed Potatoes
To streamline preparation of beef bourguignonne, the hearty beef stew from the Burgundy region of France, this recipe calls for our braising base. Here, the rich, savory stew is served with steamed buttered potatoes, a traditional accompaniment, but it’s also delicious served on top of buttered noodles, with mashed potatoes, or even with polenta or spaetzle.
- 3 lb. (1.5 kg) beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 lb. (250 g) bacon, cut into 1/4-inch (6-mm) dice
- 1 jar beef bourguignonne braising base
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs, plus 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves (optional)
- 2 cups (8 oz./250 g) pearl onions, fresh or thawed frozen
- 1/2 lb. (250 g) baby carrots, peeled
- 2 lb. (1 kg) small red new potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Season the beef with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned but not crispy, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate.
Pour off all but 1 Tbs. of the fat from the pot. Working in batches, add the beef and brown on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes per batch. Return all the beef to the pot and add the braising base and bacon. Stir in the bay leaf and thyme sprigs. Bring to a simmer, stirring to scrape up any browned bits from the pot bottom. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours.
Add the onions and carrots to the pot and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the meat is fork-tender, about 1 hour more.
About 30 minutes before the beef is done cooking, using a steamer pot, steam the potatoes until tender when pierced with a knife, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Add the butter and 1 Tbs. of the parsley and toss to combine. Season with salt.
Skim the fat off the sauce in the pot. Transfer the beef bourguignonne to shallow bowls and garnish with the remaining 1 Tbs. parsley and the thyme leaves. Serve immediately with the steamed potatoes. Serves 6.
Williams-Sonoma Test Kitchen